Wednesday, April 16, 2014

1960 Cadillac Series 52: First Senior Compact?

Yes, Silliness Ensues

My rendering is comical and meant to be, but the idea was an interesting one. I wondered what Cadillac would have had to do if given the edict to offer a "compact" car in 1960. I thought about what the marque would have to give up to meet the size and cost restraints, and how they'd make the best of them. 
  • Shorter, taller body for maximum interior room
  • Flatter sideglass and backlight but a complicated front windshield would be engineered to keep a strong resemblance to the larger cars
  • Dual instead of quad headlights
  • Bodyside argent two-toning, to not only differentiate from the senior models but to camouflage the cheaper-to-produce painted grille insert
  • Fewer body stampings, no fender skirts
I think a Cadillac version of the '61 Tempest/Special/F85 would have been the more appropriate styling direction, but I knew from the start I wanted this to be a fun rendering. Maybe I'll do a more serious one in the future...

7 comments:

  1. Before I got to the end of your commentary, I was thinking I'd like to see a Cadillac version of the "senior compacts" of 1961. That would be an interesting project for you in your spare time!

    As for your post, I think it's really cute -- perhaps cute would not be what Cadillac would have gone for. If they did something smaller, it probably would have been along the lines of a Thunderbird competitor. Oh wait -- they did -- the Riviera was originally going to be the LaSalle II. But GM couldn't have moved fast enough to put a T-Bird competitor on the market by 1960 -- they were busy with the Corvair and getting the whole 1959 line ready for market.

    A side note: I'm sure you've seen the prototypes for the Buick and Olds versions of the Corvair. I guess if the Corvair had been more successful, we might have seen it spread across the divisions.

    Paul, NY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've started a few versions of the '61 Buick Special, but boy are they hard to modify. So much unique sheetmetal with twists and turns and tubular stampings, lol. I think it would be better if I started from scratch! And yes, I've seen those prototypes of the Corvair. Another difficult car to style for another division because it's so unique. I apologize for taking so long to reply, Paul!

      Delete
  2. This combination appears to be 'Middleclass Maroon & Silverplate Metallic' another favorite might be 'Bluecollar Azure with Foolsgold Firemist inserts. Fun stuff.

    Bobf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. love those color descriptions, Bob! I apologize for taking so long to reply!

      Delete
  3. I STILL LOVE THE LARGER CARS. THEY HAD STYLE, PERIOD. ANYONE DRIVING A CADILLAC BACK IN MY DAY HAD TO BE RICH, RICH.I DIDN'T HANG WITH ANY RICH KIDS AND THE ONES I KNEW IN SCHOOL HAD THEIR NOSE SO HIGH YOU'D SWEAR THEY WOULD DROWN IF IT RAINED.GIRLS DIDN'T HAVE CARS TO DRIVE TO SCHOOL BUT A FEW GUYS DID. THOSE KIDS WORKED FOR THEM. NOT LIKE TODAY WHERE DADDY BUYS THEIR KIDS EVERYTHING THEY WANT.. I'M VERY MUCH AGAINST BUYING TEENAGERS A CAR. YUK, SURE AM...HOPE ALL IS WELL WITH YOU. GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Granny! I've had a rough few months but what else is new? Thanks for asking and continued thanks for checking out my blogs! Hope you're feeling well and that Gramps is good too.

      Delete
  4. Hey Terrific Guy: Been looking at my 1/18 of a '59 limousine. I can nearly picture it as a V16 Coupe maintaning the side posts even. Eliminating the middle section which contains the "Big Shot and his Dame" doors. Could you would you try it? Another thing I think obsessively over is that Limousines ought to have a proportionately larger trunk for all other passengers going on an outing or to a train station/airport/Q.E 1. For continued inspiration: Do you know of the mid '50s Cadillac Woody 9 Passenger? Believe it belonged to Hop-along Cassidy but in posession of a t-shirt/base ball cap manufacturer near Northridge California as of 1990s.

    ReplyDelete