Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Oldie But Goodie: Fifties 300SL Gullwing Touring


I really think an original 300SL Gullwing Touring model, with fitted luggage and a useful rear hatch, would have made a great fit in the Fifties grand touring market. Aerodynamics may have been even better with the smoothly rounded back ending farther back on the body. Supple Italian leather luggage with aluminum fittings securing it in the rear hold is fitted below the shoulder line for a clean appearance and maximum driver visibility.

I chopped this a long time ago but I think it's holding up pretty well : )

2 comments:

  1. You're not alone. The shape of this reminded me that when you first showed it, something clicked. A memory of a Porsche 928 wagon. I meant to comment on it then but somehow never got around to it. I looked it up. There were two that I know of: a rather ungainly 4 door wagon prototype and a much nicer two door built for Ferry Porsche. I was only able to find one shot of the two door which is rather poor quality at 'Histomobile'. Amazing how close the prototype is to your design for the classic Gullwing. I don’t remember if I wrote the first time you presented this. It is handsome in a very German way. Congrats ( sorry for the delay ).

    Bobf

    ReplyDelete